A massive box this week
This week my farmer passed me my box and right away I commented how heavy it was! There are some definite highs and lows here.
1. Leeks. I seriously don’t know what I’m going to do with these. The last bunch I gave away to my dad and he hasn’t used those ones yet. He’s not super keen to take more. Suggestions needed.
2. Zucchini- I added these to the pile of zucchinis from the previous weeks and then realized I gotta start using them! I spiralized half of them into noodles and made massive salads and I juiced the balance. Wondering what I mean by spiralized?
I spiralize cucumber, zucchini, and carrots into noodles and either treat them like past noodles or do a noddle salad. Change the texture of the vegetable and it’s like it’s something completely new and different.
3. Potatoes… added to the stockpile.
4. Gem squash – I haven’t used these, I’m waiting for the weather to cool and then I’ll bake them and then add them to a salad. I’m not the biggest squash fan, I fear this is the start of many more to come.
5. Corn- again I chowed this down so quickly. I brought the corn with me to work and was eating it at my 10am coffee break. My co-workers thought it was weird, but why wait until lunch, it was as sweet as fruit!
6. Beans. I polished off last week’s yellow beans in record time. I was at a berry farm on the weekend and saw that they were selling beans for dirt cheap. I didn’t anticipate that I would be getting more beans, so I bought a massive bag. Fast forward to mid way through week 12 and I am still trying to eat all these beans. I should probably have made pickled beans, and will probably regret it later.
7. Tomatoes- All of the tomatoes this year have been super ripe. I don’t know if this is how ripe they are supposed to be. Maybe the supermarkets have trained me to think that tomatoes should be kinda hard. Essentially they all needed to be eaten in a couple of days. I ate a lot of salads, and I ended up juicing some of them.
8. Swiss Chard – I actually ran out of swiss chard part way through the week for the first time ever. I found myself hunting in the fridge for something, anything green I could toss in my morning smoothie. I’ve actually had swiss chard in my garden all summer but haven’t touched it because my farmer has been giving me so much. Silly me I forgot all about it.
9. Eggplant. As a rule I don’t like it, it’s the slimy texture, I just can’t stand it. I’m sure I read an eggplant jerky made in the dehydrator somewhere, now I just gotta find it.
10. Poblano peppers- I probably should have used these to make salsa, but I didn’t have cilantro and I just knew it wouldn’t be the same. These peppers are still waiting for me.